Librarians and library advocates have a key role to play in educating our communities about why libraries and librarians are essential in an information society. To be effective, they must speak loudly, clearly and with a unified voice. Democracy needs libraries, and libraries need advocates. SELCO/SELS is proud to be an advocate for libraries both at home and on the national stage.
SELCO/SELS advocates for their member libraries by the following:
- Monitor state and federal policies and legislation that affects the organization as well as all types of libraries
- Inform member libraries about legislative issues affecting libraries
- Promote the value of libraries to local, state, and federal agencies and legislators
- Work closely with the Minnesota Library Association and other external groups to integrate advocacy efforts into a cohesive message
- Encourage participation in state and national library legislative day activities
- Advocate for sufficient funding to support regional library programs and services
- Assist in strengthening the advocacy skills of the SELCO/SELS Board of Directors and member library staff.
Key Library Legislative Dates
Minnesota Library Legislative Day
National Library Legislative Day
Minnesota Library Legislative Platform
Current MLA/MEMO Legislative Platform & Talking Points
- 2014 Legislative Platform (Approved October 2013; Updated February 2014)
- 2014 Talking Points
- More information can be found on the MLA Legislative Committee’s website.