Librarians and library advocates have a key role to play in educating our communities about why libraries and librarians are essential in an information society. To be effective, they must speak loudly, clearly and with a unified voice. Democracy needs libraries, and libraries need advocates. SELCO/SELS is proud to be an advocate for libraries both at home and on the national stage.
SELCO/SELS advocates for their member libraries by the following:
- Monitor state and federal policies and legislation that affects the organization as well as all types of libraries
- Inform member libraries about legislative issues affecting libraries
- Promote the value of libraries to local, state, and federal agencies and legislators
- Work closely with the Minnesota Library Association and other external groups to integrate advocacy efforts into a cohesive message
- Encourage participation in state and national library legislative day activities
- Advocate for sufficient funding to support regional library programs and services
- Assist in strengthening the advocacy skills of the SELCO/SELS Board of Directors and member library staff.
Key Library Legislative Dates
|Minnesota Library Legislative Forum||Minnesota Library Legislative Day||National Library Legislative Day|
A grassroots advocacy campaign running in the SELCO region during February 2015. Modeled on the Texans Love Libraries campaign, this simple mail-in drive is set to help local libraries collect those great “Why I Love My Library” stories and pass them along to legislators on March 3rd at the 2015 Minnesota Library Legislative Day. Click HERE to view all necessary materials.
Please check back for more information as it’s released regarding the 2016 MLA/ITEM Platform and supporting materials.
For previous years’ materials please consult this Advocacy Archive.