Librarians and library advocates have a key role to play in educating our communities about why libraries and librarians are essential in an information society. To be effective, they must speak loudly, clearly and with a unified voice. Democracy needs libraries, and libraries need advocates. SELCO/SELS is proud to be an advocate for libraries both at home and on the national stage.
SELCO/SELS advocates for their member libraries by the following:
- Monitor state and federal policies and legislation that affects the organization as well as all types of libraries
- Inform member libraries about legislative issues affecting libraries
- Promote the value of libraries to local, state, and federal agencies and legislators
- Work closely with the Minnesota Library Association and other external groups to integrate advocacy efforts into a cohesive message
- Encourage participation in state and national library legislative day activities
- Advocate for sufficient funding to support regional library programs and services
- Assist in strengthening the advocacy skills of the SELCO/SELS Board of Directors and member library staff.
|Minnesota Library Legislative Forum||Minnesota Library Legislative Day||National Library Legislative Day|
Please check back for more information as it’s released:
For previous years’ materials please consult this Advocacy Archive.
A grassroots advocacy campaign that ran in the SELCO region in February 2015. Modeled on the Texans Love Libraries campaign, this simple mail-in drive aimed to help local libraries collect those great “Why I Love My Library” stories and pass them along to legislators. Click HERE to view materials.