Librarians and library advocates have a key role to play in educating our communities about why libraries and librarians are essential in an information society. To be effective, they must speak loudly, clearly and with a unified voice. Democracy needs libraries, and libraries need advocates. SELCO/SELS is proud to be an advocate for libraries both at home and on the national stage.
SELCO/SELS advocates for member libraries by:
- Monitoring state and federal policies and legislation that affects the organization as well as all types of libraries
- Informing member libraries about legislative issues affecting libraries
- Promoting the value of libraries to local, state, and federal agencies and legislators
- Working closely with the Minnesota Library Association and other external groups to integrate advocacy efforts into a cohesive message
- Encouraging participation in state and national library legislative day activities
- Advocating for sufficient funding to support regional library programs and services
- Assisting in strengthening the advocacy skills of the SELCO/SELS Board of Directors and member library staff
|Minnesota Library Legislative Forum||Minnesota Library Legislative Day||National Library Legislative Day|
Visit the website for basic information, links to resources, and videos that explain the legislative process.
You can find the 2019 MLA/ITEM Platform here.
For previous years’ materials please consult this Advocacy Archive.